Unfortunately, just because you’ve finalized your divorce or child support agreement, does not always mean your legal troubles are over. It can be extremely frustrating and stressful when a parent to your child or former spouse refuses to adhere or follow a court order.

In most family law matters, a court can enforce issues that were established in an official agreement. If you and your significant other came up with an agreement on your own but never had it approved by the court, then it could prove to be difficult in establishing its validity in court. It is crucial to have knowledgeable and experienced attorneys help you with this process. Typically, a court may intervene to enforce:

  • Child custody and visitation orders
  • Child support orders
  • Spousal maintenance or alimony
  • Division of property
  • Restraining/Protective orders (in cases where domestic violence may be present)

However, before a court can order enforcement, it must find an individual in contempt, which means that they have shown a willful disobedience of the order as given by the court. If this is the case, a judge has several methods at his or her disposal to enforce the court, including: garnishment of wages, jail time, fines, and other similar penalties.

Whether your significant other is withholding spousal maintenance payments, child support payments or continues to violate a custody agreement, be sure to call on our El Paso family law lawyers for advice and representation.